Back to Insights

The Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED)

By admin
04 Apr 2022
Accounts & Compliance

The Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED) has applied since 1 April 2013 and is payable predominantly by Companies (and other non-natural persons) that own UK residential property. The charge is payable in advance and increases annually in line with the Consumer Price Index.

What is a dwelling?

If all or part of your property is or could be used as a residence, then it is classed as a dwelling. Properties such as care homes, student halls of residence and guest houses do not count as dwellings.

What is required?

Where your company owns a dwelling valued at more than £500,000, it will need to file an ATED return even if no tax is payable due to available reliefs (see below).

Returns are required to be made annually between 1 April and 30 April, in addition an initial return is due within 30 days of the purchasing of a property that falls within the ATED regime. Where a property is acquired or disposed of (or its use changes) during the tax year the charge will be pro-rated. Payment of any charge arising is due at the same time as the return.

Valuing your property

The ATED rules require that a property is revalued every 5 years as a minimum. In respect of the 2022/23 tax year, properties already owned will need to be re-valued as at the 1 April 2022 and any properties bought after 1 April 2022 will be valued at their purchase price. These valuations will be used until the next compulsory re-valuation date will be 1 April 2027.

It is worth noting the volatility of the property market post-Brexit and Covid-19 when considering whether properties that would previously been below the £500,000 threshold may now fall within the ATED regime and vice versa.

It is not necessary to obtain a professional valuation, for example from a surveyor, but any valuation used is your responsibility and may be subject to dispute by HMRC.

Chargeable amounts

[table id=15 /]

Relief available

There are a number of reliefs available that may mean that you do not need to pay any ATED on your property or reduce the charge due. You may be able to claim relief if your property is:

  • let on a commercial basis to an unconnected third party and is not at any time, occupied (or available to a connected party;
  • open to the public for at least 28 days a year
  • being developed for resale by a property developer
  • owned by a property trader as the stock of the business for the sole purpose of resale
  • repossessed by a financial institution as a result of its business of lending money
  • acquired under a regulated home reversion plan
  • being used by a trading business to provide living accommodation to certain qualifying employees
  • a farmhouse occupied by a farm worker or a former long-serving farm worker
  • owned by a registered provider of social housing or a qualifying housing co-operative

The ‘Homes for Ukraine’ Scheme and ATED relief

From 1 April 2022, relief from ATED will also be available while a residential property is being used under the ‘Homes for Ukraine’ Scheme.

Can we help?

This can be a complex area of taxation and we would recommend seeking assistance prior to submitting ATED returns. Therefore please feel free to contact us on 03332074404 or by email at

[cs_gb id=1263]

Back to Insights

Get our latest tax articles direct to your inbox

Edge Newsletter

What best describes you?